100-hour YACEP Ashtanga Yoga Primary Series In-Depth Study Program
with Kacey Davy and Laura Josephy
The Tahoe Yoga Shala 100-hour YACEP In-Depth Study Program is comprised of 8 weekend immersions from April - September 2019, with reading and writing assignments to supplement specialized training hours.
The In-Depth Study Program is ideal for the dedicated practitioner ready to learn more or an established 200 or 500-hour RYT seeking experience with Ashtanga Yoga. Completion of the 8 weekends is required to receive 100 Continuing Education credit hours through the Yoga Alliance (YACEP).
Included in the 100-hour In-Depth Study (approximately 100 contact hours of study and practice)
Techniques Training & Practice:
- Deepen your personal practice.
- Learn alignment map and verbal cues for each of the postures that comprise the Ashtanga Primary Series.
- Study the traditional Vinyasa Count, Sanskrit names, and looking place for each asana.
- Understand the specific benefits and contraindications for each posture.
- Explore foundational techniques to skillfully practice and teach pranayama.
- Practice the Ashtanga Invocation and Closing Chants.
- Explore teaching techniques and the qualities of a teacher.
- Learn pose modifications and variations to meet individual needs.
- Practice verbal cues and hands-on assists.
Anatomy & Physiology:
- Explore foundational concepts and terminology.
- In-depth study of the structure of the human body including bones, muscles and connective tissues.
- Experience guided classes that weave anatomical concepts into posture practice.
- Understand inherent risks and contraindications.
- Energy anatomy - chakras, nadir, koshas, bandhas
Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle & Ethics:
- Discuss the Yoga Sutras as a roadmap for living in the present.
- Chant and contemplate the essential verses of the Bhagavad Gita.
- Experience mantras, stotrams and bhajans.
- American Sanskrit Institute Level 1 Immersion (12 hours).
- Understand the role of the teacher and the teacher-student relationship
- Teaching yoga as a service to benefit the community.
- Minimum 1 year posture practice in any style. Minimum 6 months consistent Ashtanga Yoga Mysore Style practice at start of training in April 2019.
- Demonstrated willingness to increase one’s capacity for self-awareness through the practices of Yoga.
- Attend all 8 teacher training weekend immersions.*
- Completion of Mysore Style Practice Hours: 1). Throughout the duration of the In-Depth Study Program, attend 10 additional Mysore Style classes outside of those included as a part of the weekend immersions. These classes must be taught by a Lead Trainer. 2). Attend two Mysore Style classes a week taught by a non-lead trainer or, in areas where no Mysore is available, documented “home practice” is acceptable.
- Completion of all required reading and homework.
- Passing grade on anatomy exam.
*With the exception of the Anatomy and Sanskrit, classes missed to due emergency or illness may be made up privately with lead teacher at an additional tuition fee.
Upon completion of all requirements, trainees will be awarded a Certificate of Completions. With the they may apply for 100 Continuing Education credit hours through the Yoga Alliance (YACEP).
2019 Training Payment Options
Full Payment: $1,300 I Deposit of $300 due with in two weeks of acceptance. Balance due April 1, 2019.*
*Full payment will be due at time of acceptance should trainee be accepted on or after April 1st.
Installment Plan: $1,500 I Paid in 5 installments
- To participate in the Installment Plan trainees must provide a valid credit card. Tahoe Yoga Shala will automatically charge your credit card on or near the dates listed below.
- 1st payment of $300 due within two weeks of acceptance*
- 2nd payment of $300 due April 1, 2019*
- 3rd payment of $300 due May 1, 2019
- 4th payment of $300 due June 1, 2019
- 5th payment of $300 due July 1, 2019
**Payments one and two will be combined should trainee be accepted on or after April 1st. Payments will not be shifted ahead.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
- Tahoe Yoga Shala (TYS) will refund all money paid if the teacher training is cancelled for any reason.
- TYS will refund all money paid if the applicant cancels within five business days (excluding Sundays and holidays) after the day their enrollment contract is signed or an initial payment is made, as long as the applicant has not begun the training.
- TYS may retain an establishes registration fee equal to 10% of the total tuition cost, if the applicant cancels after the fifth business day after signing the enrollment contract or making an initial payment. A “registration fee” is any fee charged by a school to process student applications and establish a students record system.
- If the training is terminated after the trainee enters the program, TYS may retain the registration fee established under (3) of this subsection, plus a percentage of the total tuition cost as described in the below table:
If the trainee completes this amount of training: TYS may keep this percentage of the tuition cost:
- Up to 10% of the training: 10%
- More than 10% but less than 25%: 25%
- 25% through 50%: 50%
- More than 50%: 100%
When calculating refunds, the official date of a student’s termination is the last day of recorded attendance:
(a) When TYS receives notice of the student’s intention to discontinue the training program; or,
(b)When the student is terminated for a violation of a published TYS policy which provides for termination; or,
(c) When a student, without notice, fails to attend classes for thirty calendar days.
Tahoe Yoga Shala Classes:
Throughout the duration of the In-Depth Study Program, Trainees are required to attend 10 additional Mysore Style classes outside of those included as a part of the weekend immersions. Trainees will receive a 20% discount on Tahoe Yoga Shala drop-in class tuition options (excluding purchase of 12-Month Unlimited and Auto-Pay Membership) from April 1 - October 1, 2019.
2019 Training Dates
All immersion weekends and classes are held at Tahoe Yoga Shala in South Lake Tahoe. Training sessions will include both lecture and practice. We encourage trainees to wear appropriate attire for practice sessions and to bring camp chairs, mediation cushions and note taking materials for lectures.
- April 12 - 14
- April 26 - 28 I Anatomy Immersion*
- May 17 - 19
- June 1 - 2 I Sanskrit Immersion*
- June 7 - 9
- July 12 - 14
- August 9 - 11
- September 13 - 15
**Exact schedule for these specialized weekend immersions TBD.
Approximate Weekend Schedule:
5:30 - 8:30pm I Various Topics
7:30 - 9:15am I Led Full Primary
12 - 5pm I Asana Clinic*
6 - 7am I Pranayama
7 - 9am I Mysore
12 - 5pm I Asana Clinic*
**A 20-30 minute break will occur about halfway through the Asana Clinic sessions.
- “Yoga Mala" by Pattabhi Lois
- “Ashtanga Yoga Anusthana” by Sharath Jois - ISBN-13: 978-9351263029
- “Ashtanga Yoga Practice & Philosophy” by Gregor Maehle
- “Anatomy of Movement” by Bladine Calais-Germain
- “Anatomy of Breathing” by Bladine Calais-Germain
- “Yoga & Ayurveda: Self Healing and Self Realization” by David Frawley
- “The Mirror of Yoga” by Richard Freeman
- “Teaching Yoga” by Donna Farhi
- “Yoga Sutra Workbook: The Certainty of Freedom” by Vyaas Houston - www.americansanskrit.com
- “Shri Bhagavad Gita” by Winthrop Sargent - ISBN-13: 978-079141888
YACEP Ashtanga In-Depth Study Program Application:
Prospective trainees are required to complete an application before being accepted into the program. Once your application is submitted, please allow up to 2 weeks to be notified of your acceptance. Payment will be due within 2 weeks of acceptance. Thank you!