Namaste literally means "I bow to you." Every moment we are together – from the street outside, to class, to back outside again – we have the opportunity to respect and appreciate one another. Here are some wise and gracious yogi etiquette guidelines:
- Please register online before attending your first class at Tahoe Yoga Shala
- Visit our web schedule to create an online profile and sign a waiver prior to attending your first class. Students may also purchase single classes or packages online.
- Advance reservations are not required, please feel free to drop-in at any time!
- Please sign-in before every class and print LEGIBLY.
- Signing-in for every class is essential for payment purposes and so that we can compensate our teachers according to class attendance.
- While reservations/advanced payment are not required, they streamline the registration process leaving you with more time to relax and enjoy your yoga experience. For your convenience, reservations can be made via the MindBody App. Please review our reservation and cancellations policies.
Respect for the Studio:
- Turn OFF or put all cell phones in AIRPLANE MODE. Vibrate mode is a distraction. Leave cell phones in storage cubby.
- Remove shoes before entering the studio.
- Roll mats out quietly.
- Please arrive at least 5 minutes before class begins.
- If you are taking a class from a teacher who is new to you, arrive early to inform him/her of any injuries or conditions.
- When you’re waiting outside, please be quiet as there may be a class in progress.
- If you are late for unavoidable reasons, enter quietly and wait in back until after opening chanting/meditation – this is NOT the time to find your spot - then please join the class. If the class is full, be prepared to move your mat and allow the teacher to make a space for latecomers.
Respect for Teachers and Students:
- Please observe basic hygiene when attending yoga class: clean body, clean clothes and clean mat.
- Out of respect for your fellow yogis and teachers, if you are feeling immune compromised or flat out sick, the Shala requests that you take rest or practice at home until you have recovered.
- Refrain from perfumes and oils as many people are allergic.
- Consider bringing your own yoga mat; it is more hygienic.
- Spray and wipe studio mats with provided spray and towels after use.
- Stack props neatly. Place cotton blankets with fringes facing back.
- Reduce skin-to-skin contact with our props by wearing a shirt. This also makes it easier for teachers to make adjustments.
- If you tend to sweat, bring a towel to class.
- Please do not use our blankets to wipe sweat from the floor or your body.
Respect for our Neighbors:
Please be mindful that the lobby area is common space which we share with our neighbors, Johnson Physical Therapy. Clients of the Johnson Physical Therapy are often in acute pain that may limit their ability to walk or stand. Further, Johnson Physical Therapy is required by law to meet certain building handicap access standards. Do not block the entrance to our neighbors office with personal belongings including shoes. Bikes are to be locked up on side of building leaving the walkway free and clear. All personal items need to be stored neatly in the studio area of the lobby, beneath the stairs, bench or inside the studio in the cubbies.