Ashtanga Yoga Primary Series Teacher Training and Mysore Style Apprenticeship, 200-hr RYT
with Kacey Davy and Laura Josephy
The Tahoe Yoga Shala 200-hour RYT Teacher Training is comprised of 8 weekend immersions from April - September 2019, with reading and writing assignments to supplement specialized training hours. A 20-week (40 hour) Mysore Style Apprenticeship is included in the teacher training and runs concurrently throughout the duration of the program.
Our training is ideal for both the aspiring Ashtanga Yoga teacher and the dedicated practitioner ready to learn more. Completion of the 8 weekends and apprenticeship program are required for those seeking a 200-hour RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) Certification.
Included in the 200-hour Training (approximately 190 contact hours of study and practice)
Techniques Training & Practice:
- Deepen your personal practice.
- Learn alignment map and verbal cues for each of the postures that comprise the Ashtanga Primary Series.
- Study the traditional Vinyasa Count, Sanskrit names, and looking place for each asana.
- Understand the specific benefits and contraindications for each posture.
- Explore foundational techniques to skillfully practice and teach pranayama.
- Practice the Ashtanga Invocation and Closing Chants.
- Experience the heart of the Ashtanga method through a Mysore Style Apprenticeship.
- Principles of observation and the student learning process.
- How to work with beginners in the Mysore Style practice setting.
- Explore teaching techniques and the qualities of a teacher.
- Learn pose modifications and variations to meet individual needs.
- Practice verbal cues and hands-on assists.
- Learn skillful class management and decision making skills.
Anatomy & Physiology:
- Explore foundational concepts and terminology.
- In-depth study of the structure of the human body including bones, muscles and connective tissues.
- Experience guided classes that weave anatomical concepts into posture practice.
- Understand inherent risks and contraindications.
- Energy anatomy - chakras, nadir, koshas, bandhas
Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle & Ethics:
- Discuss the Yoga Sutras as a roadmap for living in the present.
- Chant and contemplate the essential verses of the Bhagavad Gita.
- Experience mantras, stotrams and bhajans.
- American Sanskrit Institute Level 1 Immersion (12 hours).
- Understand the role of the teacher and the teacher-student relationship
- Teaching yoga as a service to benefit the community.
- How to give and receive feedback skillfully.
- Assistant teacher in the Mysore Style format.
- Lead teacher in the led and Mysore Style formats.
- Minimum 1 year posture practice in any style. Minimum 6 months consistent Ashtanga Yoga Mysore Style practice at start of training.
- Demonstrates a willingness to increase one’s capacity for self-awareness through the practices of Yoga.
- Attend all 8 teacher training weekend immersions.*
- Completion of Mysore Style Practice Hours: Throughout the duration of the training, attend a minimum of three Mysore Style classes per week. One of these classes must be taught by a lead trainer. Other classes may be taught by a non-lead trainer or, in areas where no Mysore Program is available, documented “self-practice” is acceptable.
- Completion of Apprenticeship: Apprentice one Mysore Style class per week taught by lead trainers Kacey or Laura for 20 weeks (40 hours) plus a monthly meeting with assigned lead trainer.
- Completion of all required reading and homework.
- Passing grade on anatomy exam.
- Completion of Practicum/Final Exam: Teach two Mysore Style classes and one 1/2 Led Primary class.
Upon completion of all requirements, trainees will be awarded a Certificate of Completions. With this they may apply for 200-hour RYT Certification through the Yoga Alliance.
*Classes missed to due emergency or illness may be made up privately with lead teacher at an additional tuition fee.
2019 Training Payment Options
Full Payment: $2,000 I Deposit of $460 due with in two weeks of acceptance. Balance due April 1, 2019.*
*Full payment will be due at time of acceptance should trainee be accepted on or after April 1st.
Installment Plan: $2,300 I Paid in 5 installments
- To participate in the Installment Plan trainees must provide a valid credit card. Tahoe Yoga Shala will automatically charge your credit card on or near the dates listed below.
- 1st payment of $460 due within two weeks of acceptance*
- 2nd payment of $460 due April 1, 2019*
- 3rd payment of $460 due May 1, 2019
- 4th payment of $460 due June 1, 2019
- 5th payment of $460 due July 1, 2019
**Payments one and two will be combined should trainee be accepted on or after April 1st. Payments will not be shifted ahead.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
- Tahoe Yoga Shala (TYS) will refund all money paid if the teacher training is cancelled for any reason.
- TYS will refund all money paid if the applicant cancels within five business days (excluding Sundays and holidays) after the day their enrollment contract is signed or an initial payment is made, as long as the applicant has not begun the training.
- TYS may retain an established registration fee equal to 10% of the total tuition cost, if the applicant cancels after the fifth business day after signing the enrollment contract or making an initial payment. A “registration fee” is any fee charged by a school to process student applications and establish a students record system.
- If the training is terminated after the trainee enters the program, TYS may retain the registration fee established under (3) of this subsection, plus a percentage of the total tuition cost as described in the below table:
If the trainee completes this amount of training: TYS may keep this percentage of the tuition cost:
- Up to 10% of the training: 10%
- More than 10% but less than 25%: 25%
- 25% through 50%: 50%
- More than 50%: 100%
When calculating refunds, the official date of a student’s termination is the last day of recorded attendance:
(a) When 8LYC receives notice of the student’s intention to discontinue the training program; or,
(b) When the student is terminated for a violation of a TYS policy which provides for termination; or,
(c) When a student, without notice, fails to attend classes for thirty calendar days.
Tahoe Yoga Shala Classes:
Teacher Training participants are required to take at least one Mysore Style class per week through the duration of the 6-month training period. Tuition for attendance in classes taught by lead trainers, Kacey or Laura, are included in the Teacher Training from April 1st - October 1st. Existing memberships of trainees will be suspended throughout the duration of the program if requested.
2019 Training Dates
All immersion weekends and classes are held at Tahoe Yoga Shala in South Lake Tahoe. Training sessions will include both lecture and practice. We encourage trainees to wear appropriate attire for practice sessions and to bring camp chairs, mediation cushions and note taking materials for lectures.
- April 12 - 14
- April 26 - 28 I Anatomy Immersion*
- May 17 - 19
- June 1 - 2 I Sanskrit Immersion*
- June 7 - 9
- July 12 - 14
- August 9 - 11
- September 13 - 15
**Exact schedule for these specialized weekend immersions TBD.
Approximate Weekend Schedule:
5:30 - 8:30pm I Various Topics
7:30 - 9:15am I Led Full Primary
12 - 5pm I Asana Clinic*
6 - 7am I Pranayama
7 - 9am I Mysore
12 - 5pm I Asana Clinic*
**A 20-30 minute break will occur about halfway through the Asana Clinic sessions.
- “Yoga Mala" by Pattabhi Jois
- “Atha Yoga Anusthana” by Sharath Jois
- “Ashtanga Yoga Practice & Philosophy” by Gregor Maehle
- “Anatomy of Movement” by Bladine Calais-Germain
- “Anatomy of Breathing” by Bladine Calais-Germain
- “Yoga & Ayurveda: Self Healing and Self Realization” by David Frawley
- “The Mirror of Yoga” by Richard Freeman
- “Teaching Yoga” by Donna Farhi
- “Yoga Sutra Workbook: The Certainty of Freedom” by Vyaas Houston
- “Shri Bhagavad Gita” by Winthrop Sargent